Download these 40+ Free Memo Templates in MS Word format to assist you in printing your own Memo easily.
Before discussing and explaining the official memo format, it is good to define a memo or a memorandum. A memorandum commonly known as a memo is an official communicating tool that is created for a particular topic in order to make the employees understand. A memo has great importance and a key role in business communication and is commonly used in all business types.
When it comes to communicating certain information within an office or an organization the best mean is a memo that helps the sender to convey the message or information in a clear, concrete, concise, and precise manner. Though writing a memo is not a difficult task but a good and effective memo always needs to have basic writing skills and a standard format of an official memo.
Official Memo Format
In the effectiveness and concreteness of an official memo, the format of the memo has a vital role, and therefore writing an official memo is considered as a skill. An official memorandum consists of three parts, the introduction, body of the memo, and a conclusion. Companies are free to choose a format to write these three parts in different styles. There are a lot of companies, especially big companies and organizations that have their own pre-written standard format of official memo to use in their offices and organization. Some other memo formats are available on the internet from where people can download the one suiting their requirements.
How to Write a Memo Template?
The following steps will explain the action and standard format of an official memo.
- Prior to the introduction, it is important to include certain important headings in an official memo. These are, “To”, where you have to put the name of the recipient along with the job title, if the recipient is a group then no need to mention job titles of all, “From” where you have to write the name of the sender along with the designation, “Date” type the current date on which you will send the memo and “Subject” where you have to write the purpose of the memo.
- Now it’s time to write the introduction of the memo, that’s what about the memo is?. There is no need to include headings before writing the introduction, body, and conclusion. Simply start and write a precise and clear introduction about the purpose of the memo.
- Include the body of the memo in order to explain the issue that you have written on the subject. It is good to write the body with headings or bullets as this will help your recipients in understanding the message. Emphasize the issue and try to discuss it clearly along with your expectation and the required action.
- Finally, include the conclusion of the official memo at the end of the memo. The conclusion should be about 4 to 5 lines.
- Review the memo for possible grammar and spelling errors before sending it. Always try to use action words, active verbs, active voice, and simple and clear language. The memo should be clear and straightforward so that the reader immediately gets your point you want to make him/her understand.
Guidelines to Make a Professional Memorandum
Before going to tell you the numerous benefits of an interoffice memo, it is good to define what an interoffice memo is. An interoffice memo or memorandum is a written document that is used as a communication tool in the office in order to share important information, amendments, calls for a meeting, time schedule, etc with employees. In the professional world, memos and especially interoffice memos are very popular because of their unlimited benefits.
When it comes to the style and format of an interoffice memo you will find that each organization has its own preference however a proper and professional interoffice memo includes some common points like a proper heading showing the subject, the date, the sender, and the address of the sender, the context in which a background of the information is written in order to help the reader to understand the subject of the memo and its relation with the business world. The memo also contains tasks, resolutions, details, conclusions, and attachments. Usually, an interoffice memo is sent via email to all the employees and workers in an office.
On the basis of the proper format of an interoffice memorandum, the following benefits are connected to it.
A Concrete and Faster Mode of Message
The biggest benefit of an interoffice memo is that it allows you to send a concrete and clear message to your employees within seconds. There is no need to communicate your message to your employees individually and hence it reduces the chances of making errors. You can simply write your message and information in detail and can review it before sending it.
Enhancing Productivity and Performance
Usually, an interoffice memo is written by the management to bring the attention of employees and lower management towards a particular problem. When you communicate the problem area and discuss the possible solutions, its impacts, and benefits on the condition of the organization. Employees will immediately start working on your proposed solution that will save your time and will increase the performance and productivity of each employee. With the help of an interoffice memo, one can ask for required actions without wasting time.
Interoffice memos are designed for the convenience of the top management and lower management. Sometimes an organization has a number of branches in different cities and even countries. It is impossible for the headquarters of the organization to communicate messages via phone or video calls to each branch. So they can create a single memo and can send it via email to all branches and to all employees without having a tension of changes in their message.
Saves you from Legal Actions
Sometimes, when you communicate a message orally people who are not present at the moment or are in the distance can claim that they didn’t get your words because of any issue. In some other cases when you fire your employee for not following your instructions and information about a particular thing they sometimes knock at the door of law. An interoffice memo saves you from any legal claims or sure as you can show your written memo as evidence.
Free Memo Templates
Here are previews and download links for these free memo templates.